firstnations.html Return to

First Nations children and birthparents and siblings of those, adopted out of Manitoba and Canada, should also register with the following:

First Nations of Southern Manitoba Child & Family Services Authority, 100-696 Portage Ave., Winnipeg MB R3G 0M6 tel: 204-783-9190, toll free: 1-800-665-5762 or fax: 204-783-7996 or website

First Nations of Northern Manitoba Child & Family Services Authority, 206 - 819 Sargent Ave., Winnipeg MB R3E 0B9 tel: 204-942-1842, toll free: 1-866-512-1842 or fax: 204-942-1858 or website

Awasis Agency of Northern Manitoba, 100 - 701 Thompson Drive, Thompson MB R8N 2A2 tel: 204-677-1500, toll free: 1-800-667-4734 (MB only), or fax: 204-778-8428 or website

There are also agencies in The Pas, Norway House, Nelson House and Garden Hill

Opaskwayak Cree Nation Child and Family Services Box 10550, Opaskwayak MB R0B 2J0, toll free: 1-877-627-7240 or website

If you were fostered you are entitled to know the full name of your birthmother, birthfather, and your siblings. The Adoption Act does not apply to people who were fostered.

If you were born in Canada and adopted by American adoptive parents and taken to the United States, contact the US Dept. of Immigration and obtain a copy of your Entry Visa. This form should show your full birthname. This is required for all persons taking up permanent residence in the U.S.

Treaty Status Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada As an adoptee, if you would like to find out if you are eligible for Registered Indian Treaty Status, you need to contact the Department of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC). The Department will determine whether you are entitled to Registered Indian status. You will need to make an official enquiry and supply them with the Adoption Order, and any other information they require, for them to conduct an investigation. You do not need your birth mother's name or band number the Department will able to search for your eligibility without it.

Alternatively, you can send a copy of the Adoption Order along with a written request for more information on your possible treaty status to the following address:

Indian Registration and Band Lists
Registration, Revenue and Band
Governance Branch
Department of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada
Ottawa ON K1A 0H4
ATTN: Adoption Unit
telephone: 1-800-567-9604

Return to